Saturday, January 27, 2007

Group solidarity, & cast of characters

Yesterday was my first group meeting with the new group at SRU. I feel a bit foolish, because I'd just assumed the postdoc (hereafter referred to as Dr. TX, or TX) would tell me when the group meetings were--but instead, on the third week, I was tooling around in lab after I thought everyone had gone to lunch when one of the grad students I'd met over the summer (nicknamed CO below) poked his head in and said, "Hey, you know there's group meeting in ten minutes? I didn't know if anyone had told you." Whoops! He then disappeared without telling me where this meeting was, but I managed to catch SY, another student in the group, who led me down to the conference room.

I was nervous at first--was I going to have to talk about what I was doing?--but when I got down there I found that generally the group meeting consists of one long presentation by a group member on a topic of mutual interest followed by various orders of business. This week it was on a topic I knew a bit about, and while Dr. GE (the professor I work for, or my advisor, I suppose) was displeased with the presentation itself, I could see what he actually did expect and think I will not be too terribly nervous when it is my turn.

The rest of the meeting was, first, Dr. GE reiterating from before winter break that everyone should learn how to do a certain somewhat rare technique that I in fact learned as an undergrad, and second, a discussion of how our lab space could be more efficient and useful. Dr. GE pointed out that when the group was moving into its current space, lots of people took shelving and the like from the lab space before they moved in--cannibalism is just the way of things around here. After a pause CO mentioned that he'd taken some shelves from a nearby lab during its recent turnover. "Good!" said Dr. GE; "That's what they did to us!" CO offered that there was a lab moving out of an adjacent building, and Dr. GE, while telling us "I didn't tell you this," encouraged us to go get some useful things for ourselves. CO did mention that there's a sign on the lab door threatening to prosecute anyone who takes anything from the lab, though, so I think we're going to get our shelving the old-fashioned way: from Home Depot.

We spent a while wandering around the lab finding ways to rearrange and coming up with new storage ideas. I seem to have already won a bit of a reputation as someone who is good at maximizing efficiency of space--which makes me happy! I do like rearranging things. I found good places for all the old journals, theses, and lab books to go while staying out of the filing cabinets in the offices and off the computer desks. Now I just hope we get our new shelving hardware! The company that made the shelves we use above the lab benches seems to have discontinued the brackets we need, which is not at all helpful. Also, Dr. GE seems really committed to updating everything, but I haven't been around long enough to know if it's all talk or what.

One of the big upsides of having gone to this meeting, now, is that I have learned a bit more about the make-up of the group. It's a friendly, comfortable group, a little over half female (did you even know that was POSSIBLE in physical science?), and full of first-years. Here is the cast (and no, these are not their first and last initials). I mention their countries of origin and language situations only to give a sense of the diversity going on here, and because language barriers were a huge part of what made CIT so isolating for me.

Dr. GE - The male professor in charge. Mildly irritable, but seems devoted to getting his students a great education, and comfortable and fairly informal except when formality has some kind of benefit. Not American, but speaks fluent English. His son, who is a friendly freshman maybe-chem-major at SRU, comes in to do some labwork sometimes.

Dr. TX - The male postdoc who gives me my marching orders at the moment. European; speaks okay English but doesn't often seem to understand what I am saying, especially if I catch him off-guard. Can be quite short with people and perhaps a bit socially awkward, but definitely knows what he's doing scientifically. Very "friendly" with the chemicals--doesn't use gloves, goggles, labcoat, or a hood.

TK - Works across the hall from me. Male, Asian. I know almost nothing about him; he has not yet spoken to me directly.

RM - Also works across the hall from me. Female, Asian, speaks very good English. She was the first person I met in lab, and has been in the group the longest. She's very friendly and sweet, and seems to always be working in lab.

SN - Works across the fall. American, female first-year with the same first name as me (it's a common name, but come on! With only one other student from an English-speaking country in the group, she has the same first name as me? She even uses the same nickname sometimes, though I go exclusively by the nickname and she by the full name most of the time). I first met her in my class I'm taking; she seems outgoing and fun.

CO - Male, European, works on my side of the hall but spends his time in a different office. From the same country as Dr. TX and KS (below). He's the safety coordinator and seems pretty nice, if a little harried sometimes. Speaks fluent English.

KS - Female, European first-year. I have not spoken to her at all, nor do I really know anything about her. She also works on my side of the hall but in the other office. She teaches during our group meeting, but apparently Dr. GE doesn't actually care about that?

AT - Male, European, wonderfully nice guy who explained the whole situation with Dr. TX to me. He sits next to me in my office. He doesn't seem terribly happy with his lot in life, but he's good to me. Speaks nearly-fluent English but (I just noticed today) does things like taking notes on English presentations in his native tongue.

AP - Female, Asian, first-year. Speaks fluent English, although weirdly I keep having trouble understanding names of chemicals when she says them--I suspect it's that she uses British pronunciations for them, and I'm not used to that. She's very nice to me, and was surprised that I didn't automatically know she's a first-year. She sits on my other side in the office.

SY - Female, Asian, first-year. Speaks fluent English and is shy, but kind. It took her a while to introduce herself to me, and when she did we both laughed at our own shyness. I like her a lot.

And, for good measure, someone who's not in the lab group at all...

HG - My wonderful fiance (we got engaged just about three weeks ago, now, and will be getting married in November). He's a humanities PhD student, so we have both big things in common and very big things not in common about our careers. I adore him, and he makes my outside-of-lab life wonderful. He was my first boyfriend about eight and a half years ago, and after seven years of mostly staying in touch and good friendship, we got back together last year. He's the reason I ended up at SRU, though it turns out to be a great career choice for me.

I think that's it for now, and I'm getting tired, anyway. More later; I have a few stories to tell.

2 comments:

DrOtter said...

Watch out for the 'familiar with chemicals' type. No hood is usually bad news! Language barriers always make for an 'interesting' experience. Good luck.

Gen Chem said...

Yes--I am very glad he works in a separate room from everyone else! I had to be a little too close to the chemicals for comfort while he was training me, but luckily now I have my own setup and can follow the fairly strict guidelines I keep myself to (I have asthma and eczema, and my first real lab experience was while getting my radioactive materials handling licence, so I'm doubly careful).