Saturday, January 13, 2007

Lab politics, and the usefulness of informants

I started recently at a new lab at SRU, a lab I had visited multiple times in the past and found friendly and welcoming. I'm working under a postdoc who's new since the first time I visited the lab, and while he's quite busy--frankly perhaps too busy to really train me, but he's trying--he's been pretty patient with me, and I love the job.

I noticed that the first couple of times I came in to meet him and be introduced to the project, now that my addition to the group is certain, the people who'd been so friendly to me when I was a prospective student seemed to resent my presence, or at least to be very much less friendly than they were before. The first of these times, I figured it was because it was the last week of the semester and everyone was stressed; when I showed up for my first "real" day of work and everyone still acted that way, I figured it might be because my situation is special--a research position was created for me pretty much out of nowhere, and the professor in charge of the lab group warned me that his making this exception for me, instead of making me do the typical thing [at SRU, at least] where I would prove my usefulness to him while TAing and then get an RA, might be an unpopular move on his part.

So I figured there was some hostility about my position in the lab, and while I was sad I shook it off, even as my new officemates tried to talk the postdoc out of giving me the desk I'd been assigned because it was more convenient for them to keep their books there. I figured I'd just have to win them over.

But on my second day, my officemate--we don't share an office with the postdoc--came in and smiled brightly at me, as he had the first two times I'd visited the lab, and pulled me aside to apologize for his resistance in giving me a desk. I had noticed that after his initial reluctance, the next time I'd come in the day before he'd cleared out the space for me, so I smiled back and told him it wasn't a problem--I know how hard it is to lose space one's been using.

"But I just wanted to let you know," he said, "that it's not about you. [The postdoc] and I simply don't get along. He came into this lab recently and changed everything about how it ran, and it makes a lot of us resent him. I am not the only one who feels this way, so you might notice this. But I want you to know that you are quite welcome here."

On the one hand, it's too bad that I'm walking into this mess of a political situation in the lab; on the other, it's a relief to both know it exists and know it's not about me. I am incredibly grateful that someone took the time to tell me about this. I don't plan on taking sides or anything, but I am at least glad to know that there are sides to take, so I can consciously avoid them and play it safe. This comment also made me notice things like how, when the postdoc asks a lab member to do something for/with me, he or she will be reluctant to do it, but as soon as the postdoc leaves the room it's all smiles and willingness again. I may think it's sort of immature, but at least I know what's going on... and knowing is really more like 99% of the battle in this case.

Has anyone else experienced walking into a warzone like this? Did someone tell you what was going on, or did you just have to piece it together? Did you end up taking a side?

4 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I think every lab has such a warzone. It's good that you were warned - I think I've always been told too, as people love airing their grievances. In my experience it's best not to take a side based on what other people say. Be open minded and make your own judgments based on your own experiences. It is possible to get along with people on both sides. Good luck!

DrOtter said...

Oh this sounds all too familiar. During my PhD other grad students resented me and the relationship I had with the PI - we just got on really well. It wasn't my fault that they treated him as the 'enemy' and someone to be outwitted etc. You're in a difficult position because you have to be trained by this postdoc. Perhaps to make things easier you could find out what another lab member needs to show you and ask them yourself?
Dr B H is also right - it is possible to get on with both sides but it is very exasperating and requires a lot of 'rising above' the conflict. I second the good luck!

DrOtter said...

PS - welcome to the blog world, and if you don't mind I'd like to link to this post for the upcoming postdoc carnival. Good post about what postdocs are like from 'the other side'.

Rob Dejournett said...

Yeah, this is going to suck. Being a postdoc and having been with many labs, it's not unusual. The problem with science labs is that there is inherent competition for resources, ie reagents, equipment, access to the boss. So naturally everyone is competitive with their labmates, at some level. Then there's the whole publication/authorship issue which i won't go into. As a beginning grad student, focus on having a plan for your PhD, get firm and solid task list that you and your mentor agree upon, and work from there. You'll likely be there much longer than the postdoc, if its any consolation.